Sunday, July 4, 2010

Video Vault Flashback - July 20, 1978


It has been a long time since I posted anything new.  Actually, I've been busy beginning a new life for myself in California.  More about that later.  In the meantime, it is with great pleasure that I post something old.


It's 1978.  The Carol Burnett Show ends its 11 year run.  "Grease" is the Number One movie in America.  "Garfield" makes his comic strip debut.  And I am going to be a contestant on my favorite game show!


Yes, it's me on The $20,000 Pyramid!  After waiting five years (I was too young when the show made its debut), I was selected to be a contestant.  I was so excited and a bit nervous the day we taped this.  Lois Nettleton and Dick Cavett were the celebrity guests this week.  I was partnered with Lois.  She was a great game player and very gracious, albeit a bit upset after having lost the previous Winners Circle round. 























From top to bottom:



  • Me during my pre-game interview.  I'm looking at Dick Clark.
  • Me, getting ready to give some killer clues.
  • Lois Nettleton and I are all smiles after getting a perfect score.





I didn't win the game.  I did receive some lovely parting gifts.  They were (and this is no joke),
  • Dentyne Gum - I had fresh breath for a year.
  • Jovan Eau Fresh Bath Products - I think I gave these to my Mother and Sister.
  • Golden Dipt Chicken Coating Mix - I would not have eaten this even if they paid me.
  • Icee Frozen Drinks -  This product was not sold in New York City.  I wasn't about to go looking for it.
  • Childcraft "How and Why" Library - I gave these to my cousins, thinking their kids might like it.


Thinking it may come in handy in later life, I did request a copy of my performance.  My request was denied, along with an explanation that the tapes were to be erased.  This was common practice in those days as two-inch videotape was very expensive.   On July 20, I sat in a Greenwich Village pub with my best friend, Judy Resnick and we watched the show.  The bartender gave us drinks, I got a big cheer from everyone else there, and that was that.


Fast forward 25 years and much to my surprise, I'm in reruns on the Game Show Network.  I never thought I'd say this, but thank Heaven for five-hundred channels of television.  Apparently, a bunch of Pyramid episodes had not been erased, mine being one of them.  Could you erase me?  I mean, really!  


The nice thing about my pictures is that they actually talk.  They can be seen here.


I must say it is good to have this, if for no other reason than to say, "You see that, Carol Burnett?  My shirt collar was almost as big as your curtain rod."


How I wish I still had that studly head of hair.  Five, four, three, two, one...roll 'em!

No comments: